McCormick House, designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, has been brought back to life after its restoration. In 1994, the house was purchased by the Elmhurst Museum of Art, moved to Wilder Park next to the Elmhurst Museum and connected to the museum through corridors.
As it was the only family home designed by the famous architect, 12 years later the Elmhurst Museum of Art decided to separate the buildings to exhibit the house. The 3-bedroom house was designed in 1952 by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe for Robert McCormik Jr. and his wife Isabella Gardner. McCormick and his business partner Herbert S. Greenwald intended the project to serve as a prototype for the public housing they intended to build in the suburbs, but the project never materialized due to the lack of amenities such as air conditioning and basements sought in the suburbs, but it is an early example of the idea of public housing.